Hi

Spotty has a couple of relevant settings that may impact the experience
you can choose up to 320kbps OGG as bitrate/compression this is very
good considering that ogg may be better than mp3.
It is also possible to turn volume normalisation on/off per player ,this
can impact the perceived loudness/quality level if used .

I don't know what settiongs the tidal plugin offers ?

Also check out the "default adjustment for remote streams" parameter in
LMS player settings which gives a volume adjustment to remote streams ,
usually to counter that online radio for example boost the volume as
high as possible in many cases.

Then you can run into some subtle problems when trying to compare .

* is the volume really the same between these two services ? probably
not .

* what master are they using ? it's quite possible that it's not the
same version on spotify/tidal/your local CD so that gives you
apples,oranges and bananas to compare with ? No streaming service does
any QC they let the labels/artist do the work and upload what they deem
proper .

* spotty always transcode to flac or wav before sending it to your
squeezebox . How does the tidal plugin doing it ?
The onboard mp3 decoder in for example old hardware squeezeboxes can
have audible artifacts that on server transcoding avoids by using the
lame decoder which is really good .
I have heard that with some actual music on some tracks you hear the
diff 256kBs mp3 vs flac . If let LMS do the transcoding the diffrence is
gone . This is a rare artefact but it exists for some tracks.
The bug is filed somewhere in our buggzilla .

However I tried for myself to compare Spotify against a local CD picked
some not mainstream acoustic blues record on a small label . Making it
somewhat unlikely they even have several versions/masters to pick from
(but you can not really know for sure)  .
Worst pick would be Miles Davis Kind of blue or some Michael Jackson
albums that exist in countless versions where all sounds diffrent.

Result: I could not say with any confidence that there was a difference
. In that case .

But I have also noted that audio quality varies on Spotify !
Sometimes it's not good it may depend on whatever the label uploaded and
the spotify service itself is not the limiting factor.

I also suspect that at 256k mp3 or 320kps OGG you have come to limit
where the audio format starts to become a non issue (it definitely a non
issues at >16/44.1 lossles or better )

The real issue is the actual sound quality of the recording itself and
its master so the limiting factor is neiter spotify or tidal or your CD
.
Most of the older rock and pop albums so well liked does not have an
intrinsic audio quality that challenges the CD even if HD tracks really
want you to buy the 24/192kHz version.
I have not retired yet so i have not spent time in for example Steve
Hoffmans forum to track down the ultimate versions of my favourite
records .
Suppose thats they way to go if one wants to be sure you get the best
audio quality not bits and bitrates or delivery format . Spend time
tracking down the ultimate version.

I do like the spotty plugin an what it brings me , I have discovered a
lot of music with Spotify playlist and suggestions based on my playing
habits .
And the search is good in Spotify's app . Thats also important when
comparing services how well they makes you explore new music and
discover stuff .

I only tried Tidal(wimp) for a very short time long ago so I cant
compare how well it worked regarding smart playlists and all.

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
(spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )