I am not sure your source of the m4a files is or what your music player
is and can handle, I assume you are playing both files on the same
server.

I have done a bit of reading, and don't think that there is an easy
answer.

m4a is a container which can handle ALAC (lossless) and AAC (compressed)
music.
The two mode in AAC being LC & HE. With HE being a later more complex
form of compression.

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/18b0yg/aac_vs_heaac_what_is_the_difference_which_should/

in the Inguz custom.conf this transcoding used will depend on player
capabilities. Essentially if it can handle flac the output will be 24
bit flac, if not you get 16 bit wav. Assuming the player can handle flac
the line will look like this.

[faad] -q -w -f 1 $FILE$ | [InguzDSP] -id "xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" -wav -wavo
-d 24 | [flac] -cs -0 --totally-silent -

The first part of this line "[faad] -q -w -f 1 $FILE$" converts the
inbound file format to wav format for Inguz to process.
So
The additional settings for faad may not be able to handle AAC HE
formatting or the faad executable itself may be the problem.

I also note that you are using C3PO plugin, which also is used to help
setup transcoding. In my experience using this in conjunction with Inguz
does not work well and you end up with unpredictable results. I
understand that custom.conf get loaded before the main conf, and I think
C3PO will potentially compete with Inguz settings. Given that C3PO gives
multiple options to convert a file, I think what is happening is that
the server will pick the easiest one for the file type and use that. So
my suggestion would be to disable C3PO for the player in question and
retry that.

I will have a look at the switches for FAAD and see if there is a
one-size fits all, but I barely have any apple music so it is not
something I want to spend a lot of time on. If you are able to identify
a revised command for FAAD I can certainly look at incorporating it.