Tomas M:
> I believe it means that aufs can have only 127 branches now. Can I
> simply modify this value to 256 or more? Or is there any problem raising
> the max amount?

I think you can. But I have never tried actually.
Also you need to change the type of aufs_bindex_t, which is also defined
in aufs_type.h, such like this.

typedef short aufs_bindex_t;

But I am afraid you may meet another problem.
Since mount(2) and /proc/mounts has a limited space, too long mount
options may cause an error.
Currently I guess that your another bug report "bug on remount,ro" is
related to mount(2) limit.
Aufs should return an error in this case.

> After adding many (for example 50) branches to the aufs union, executing
> the following commands causes an error. I'm not sure which one but I
> suppose it's the remount command:
>
> $ mount -o remount,ro .
> $ pivot_root . $INITRAMDISK
> $ exec $CHROOT . $INIT <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1

Will you show me your /etc/mtab just before calling
"mount -o remount,ro ."?
And you didn't install /sbin/mount.aufs, did you?

Junjiro Okajima