So now I tried something even more different :)

Before, I was calling unionctl to add branches one by one.
Now I decided to skip unionctl at all, and use

   mount -n -o remount,add:1:/new/branch=ro aufs /union

directly for all branches. Note -n switch to bypass the mtab at all.
I removed mount.aufs as well.

Remount segfaults the same in Live CD. BUT! I am unable to reproduce the
problem in my installed Linux, even if using busybox's mount. So it it
very strange :)

The problem is only with liveCD.

I noticed my busybox's mount ignores -n switch.
I'll try to debug more and I'll post here.

Tomas