"Marty Rosenberg":
> When I say other people using the system, I mean other users who were logged
> into my server when the module crashed.  After it crashed, I rebooted, and
> got the same error again.  When I attempted to run ls within subdirectories,
> it hung.  Also, now that I've been looking over it, there was another error
> in dmesg that I had missed.
>
> aufs: Unknown symbol __lookup_hash

Then, your configuration is wrong.
Your /proc/mounts showed me that you don't use NFS branch. You should
disable CONFIG_AUFS_LHASH_PATH.
If you have a plan to use NFS branch, you need to apply
AufsCvsRoot/aufs/lhash.patch to your kernel and enable
CONFIG_AUFS_LHASH_PATH.

> followed by a few permission problems such as:
> aufs test_add:360:mount[8309]: different uid/gid/permission, /mnt/farm2

It is just a warning.
Reading aufs.5, you can ignore it.

Junjiro Okajima