> You wrote that lsof reported /dev/initctl was opened.
> Are your sure that the device file is NOT inside aufs?

This was a different problem.
Please consider our conversation about /dev/initctl resolved.

I am working with two problems which are not related together:

One is the problem of unmounting union (which probably doesn't work
because init process is started from it). (please consider this resolved)

Second problem is I'm trying to remove branches while the system is
running KDE, and here I get the problem with busy inodes on loop.

Both problems would be easier to fix if there is a way how to see if
aufs has any resources used from a given branch, nevertheless please
don't confuse them together :)

I will try the patch, thank you very much.

Tomas M