Hi Philippe,

Philippe Malinge:
> I guess below information will clarify the issue.

Now we have common recognition that the target dir in on writable branch
filesystem.
And I need to ask you the same question again,

> > And do you mean that after rm -fr failure there left the whiteouts
> > (dummy.3312/.wh.XXXX) and the regular files (dummy.3312/XXXX)?
> > Won't you try strace to see the return value of unlink(2) to the children?

Shall we make these things clear by the output of strace?
- rm(1) got all the entries under the dir.
- rm(1) issued unlink(2) to all the gotten entries.
- all unlink(2) succeeded.

On my test environment, aufs on nfs-server can remove the dir who has
16384 children. Of course 'rm -fr' is executed on nfs-client.

Junjiro Okajima