Miklos Szeredi:
> And I've shown, that all the other cases are irrelevant.

I didn't agree all of them, especially about permission bits and i_uid.

> You seem to think, that we've already decided, that the right way to
> deal with this is to refresh the attributes on lookup.

Not *right* way.
While I don't know the correct English word, I will call as 'a
workaround for fuse.'

> The fact is, file attributes are usually not needed during or after
> lookup, so refreshing them unconditionally is probably the wrong thing
> to do.

It is entirely depending upon the filesystem.

> I still don't know why aufs needs those attributes.  Can you please
> ellaborate?

For example, aufs lookup is actually lookup for the lower (real)
filesystem. After the real lookup, aufs copies the real inode attributes
to the virtual inode.

> A lookup on "/" won't revalidate the root dentry.

What I wrote is stat(2) which includes getattr.

> In this case, should the stat fail, because the foo is stale?  I don't
> think so.  It shouln'd matter if foo was renamed, because it is not
> being looked up, only it's attributes are being queried.
>
> Now NFS will probably fail in that case because of the REVAL_DOT
> thingy, but that's not the right thing to do IMO.

I, probably, understand what you are saying repeatedly. Also I guess the
main difference between you and me is whether to rely on the inode attr
in positive (lookup-ed) dentry or not. In other word, explicit getattr
after lookup, before referencing inode attr, is required or not.

Junjiro Okajima