Am 26.11.2010 15:57, schrieb sf...@users.sourceforge.net:
> Thomas Sachau:
>>> So you need to run "make headers_install" BEFORE building aufs.
>>
>> No. There is a package for those headers, which installs those prepared h=
>> eaders. No package should
>> ever install any files anywhere except the current builddir or any explic=
>> itly named DESTDIR. That
>> call would install many header files without any version control by any p=
>> ackage manager, so you will
>> also not be able to uninstall those headers properly.
>
> ??
> If you don't specify INSTALL_HDR_PATH to "make headers_install", the
> files will be created under ${linux-src}/usr/include. You can handle
> them like *.o, eg. you don't need to uninstall or version control for them.
> Additionally "make headers_install" compiles linux/scripts/unifdef which
> will be necessary to create usr/include/linux/aufs_type.h.

INSTALL_HDR_PATH is used to define $install and this part has no issues, since
$_dst contains the
full path to the current place.

> You might be asserting that kernel-headers package is installed and it
> should be enough. But building a kernel module requires some internal
> scripts, commands or makefiles in kernel source tree. In other words,
> while I am talking about "process" or headers_install, you are talking
> about "result" of it.

While you can use certain pieces, you cannot expect them to work with your own
build process as with
the original build process. Especially not, when your own sources are in a
different location than
the script itself.

And from further tests, i found out, that those rm calls are not from
scripts/Makefile.headersinst,
but instead from the main Makefile from the kernel source dir.

> I just looked at linux/scripts/Kbuild.include and found $(TMPOUT) make
> variable. It may be one cause of your problem. I'd suggest you to give
> this make-var to your build process.

That var has this comment:
# output directory for tests below

And, as expected, it does not change the result.

>> You should not rely on this external Makefile, since it does create other=
>>  issues, like this one.
>> Please either create your own Makefile lines to create the header or incl=
>> ude a stripped down version
>> of the kernel Makefile with aufs2.
>
> Hmm, it is hard for me to agree. I think we can trust any files in
> kernel source tree even the files under scripts sub-dir.

While you should be able to trust them to do their intended work, you should
not trust them to do
other things. Which in this case seems to be using the main Makefile from
kernel sources during the
build of the aufs2 kernel module.

--
Thomas Sachau