I've been using aufs on top of ext4 reliably for some time.

Recently I tried it on top of btrfs (stock Ubuntu 14.04), and my
builds are failing in rm -rf with:

/bin/rm: cannot remove
`/tmp/temp-lintian-lab-h2hbg82XOW/pool/o/oobleck.../unpacked':
Directory not empty
internal error: failed to remove unpacked directory of oobleck
/bin/rm: fts_read failed: Stale NFS file handle

Has anybody else seen this?

(A superficially similar problem was mentioned five years ago:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.file-systems.aufs.user/2437
Likewise, there are superficially similar posts from docker users,
but they may be from user error.)

I see that Ubuntu 14.04's using kernel 3.13.mumble, and aufs no longer
supports 3.13 per
http://aufs.sourceforge.net/
Not sure how easy it'd be for me to run vanilla kernels on this box.
My best move
is probably to drop back to ext4 for now.