Hello OmegaPhil,

OmegaPhil:
> For some time now (across kernel versions, aufs versions, machines, etc)
> I have noticed kernel memory allocation failures intermittently when
> something lists a large aufs directory (the most recent example having
> 20,000 files in it). My aufs usage is to have multiple equally-important
        :::

For those who has such many files in a single dir, aufs provides
readdir-in-userspace feature. In other words, the memory allocation is
done in user-space instead of kernel-space.
Try enabling CONFIG_AUFS_RDU, rebuild your kernel, and in userspace set
LD_PRELOAD and LIBAU environment variables. See aufs manual and
aufs-util manual for details.

J. R. Okajima