Sorry for my late reply.

OmegaPhil:
> Suddenly the VM doesn't error anymore in the particular test I set up,
> so back on the server, I fiddled with the rsync init.d script and ran
> the daemon via 'strace -fv'. One EINVAL hit in the resulting file, here
> is it with some context:

Thanks.
The trace shows that
- pid1293 opens "/omega1-home/"
- confirms the dir is aufs
- and then issues ioctl(2).

It is good.
And the readdir(3) call by rsync is converted to ioctl(AUFS_CTL_RDU_INO)
or ioctl(AUFS_CTL_RDU) by libau.so, and it gets EINVAL. Still I don't
know why. But I'd ask you one more thing. Give strace '-e raw=ioctl'. It
will give us the raw parameters which will be helpful to debug libau.so
and aufs kernel module.

Also I'd suggest you to try a tiny test for libau. Try
        $ LD_PRELOAD=libau.so LIBAU=all strace -o /tmp/s -e raw=ioctl ls
/your/aufs/dir
and see the differences between those two strace outputs, one is by your
rsync and the other is by ls.

> Minor update - rsync/aufs has suddenly decided to fail all over the
> place with this supposed kernel memory problem, so even SSH+rsync is
> somewhat unusable currently.

Do you mean the problem is not related to a specific kernel version?

J. R. Okajima