Dear Tomaz and fellow community members,

I wanted to take a moment to address the recent discussion on the mailing list regarding Tomaz's application as a package maintainer for our distro (First of all, thank you Tomaz for your interest). As I have followed the conversation closely, I believe it is important to approach this matter from a neutral standpoint that encourages constructive dialogue and reinforces the values we uphold as a community.

First and foremost, I want to emphasize that we are a community of individuals with diverse perspectives and opinions. It is only natural that we encounter situations where different viewpoints arise. However, it is crucial that we maintain a respectful tone throughout our discussions, even when faced with conflicting ideas. Responding in a snarky and passive-aggressive manner does not contribute positively to our collective growth no matter who used such a language first.

While it is exemplary to seek clarification and avoid blindly following procedures, it is equally important to recognize the value of our established processes. When applicants deviate from these procedures, it can lead to unnecessary conflicts and consume significant time and energy from our dedicated volunteers. Considering the cumulative effort required to dicuss a deliberate deviation from established processes on list, it is instead advisable to consult with the sponsors first to ensure a smoother experience for everyone involved.

Regarding the PGP aspect of the application procedure, it is essential to understand that it serves a purpose beyond mere formality. Establishing cryptographic trust through this process enables streamlined authentication for various aspects, such as later on providing service usernames, SSH keys, and secure communication via encrypted emails to receive channel passwords etc. By adhering to this procedure from the outset, we overall simplify the verification process even if it could mean one applicant needs to create a key even when not getting accepted.

Let us remember that we are more than just a group of technicians performing individual tasks. We are a social construct, united in our dedication to Arch Linux. As representatives of our distro, it is essential to lead by example, fostering an environment where respectful communication and cooperation thrives. While it is understandable to encounter language that may not align with our personal preferences, it is outmost important to respond with factual information in a friendly manner, trusting that others will recognize the overall tone of one's own message themselves. This does not mean your opinion should be witheld or that you should let everyone in you disagree with, but it means to always approach our discussions with an open mind and empathy.

Let's all grab a cool beverage, breath some fresh air and get back to this discussion with a clear mind.
Warm regards,
Levente