On 2026-09-29 at 15:29:25 -0500,
David C Rankin <[email protected]> wrote:

> Just my $0.02 "leave" is contrary to the last 30 years of "unsubscribe"
> being used as the trigger to unsubscribe from a mailing list. The word can
> be anything, so long as the backend that looks for that word does what it is
> supposed to.
> 
> If it were me, just based on how things used to word (and I'm old, so that
> goes back a long way), I'd send a mail to
> [email protected] with the single word, leave, as the
> subject, and the single word, leave, in the body of the message. The subject
> and body have also been used at varying times to pick up the word.
> 
> (you can leave your signature on, it's ignores)

I'm old, too.  :-)

Now there's Unicode, Punycode, MIME, S/MIME, HaTeMaiL, who knows what
else, and every MUA and MTA that fails to follow all the relevant RFCs
and/or include plain text.  I regularly get MIME email in which the
plain text contains different content from the HTML, or where the plain
text just tells me to use my web browser to read the online version of
the email (even when the content is just a sentence or two or completely
contained in the subject), or where whatever template system didn't find
the text/plain section.

Writing mailing list servers isn't as easy as it used to be.  :-/

Reply via email to