Alternatively, plug the device in to the USB port, go to settings, system, about, device manager ( Win10) and look at the ports created.

Set software you want to use to that port.

Mike

At 12:47 PM 11/30/2015, you wrote:
Hi Bernie
Just tried it, my system is Win 7 and it didn't work. All I got was:
"ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value"
ROSS

_____________
 Ross McLean
 Mobile:           + 61 488 270 105
 Telephone:   + 61 7 4325 4771

-----Original Message-----
From: Aus-soaring [mailto:aus-soaring-boun...@lists.base64.com.au] On Behalf
Of Bernie Baer
Sent: Monday, 30 November 2015 12:01 PM
To: aus-soaring@lists.base64.com.au
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Serial to USB

http://www.dontronics-shop.com/easysync-premium-gold-usb-rs232-adapter-cable
-1-meter-cable.html

The FTDI chip version from Dontronics works every time, providing you
specify the correct port number in your software.
To identify what port number to use, try this:

1. Create a txt file, call it port.txt
2. Edit it to include these two lines and nothing else

reg query HKLM\hardware\devicemap\serialcomm
pause

3. Save it, then rename it to port.bat
4. Double click on it, it will list all com ports in use

Borgelt Instruments - design & manufacture of quality soaring instrumentation since 1978
www.borgeltinstruments.com
tel:   07 4635 5784     overseas: int+61-7-4635 5784
mob: 042835 5784                :  int+61-42835 5784
P O Box 4607, Toowoomba East, QLD 4350, Australia