On 1/3/2016 6:53 PM, DMcD wrote:
Under 6.2.1 minimum equipment in aircraft gliders are exempt from.  having
xponders in E space although I believe gliders in E space should at least
monitor the area frequently. Dual watch radios are great for this.
They're a great way of knowing that someone is out there, but seldom
who. I have lost count of the GA and RA aircraft who call up on some
CTAF frequency and fail to wait long enough for the area or aerodrome
name to transmit and then leave it off the end. I cannot understand
why "Traffic Temora" was swapped for "Temora traffic" because you are
lucky most times to get the "... traffic". Then they proceed to give
you their life story… and then omit the place name at the end.

There's also a peculiar back of the mount croak voice, commonly used
by teenage girls, which is coming into GA aircraft speak. The odd
thing is that if and when one croaky pilot recognises another, they
can then hold a conversation in a normal tone and speed of voice which
is entirely intelligible.

I guess compulsory use of transponders would mean this annoyance would
go away. Maybe a great idea!

Since you asked, we at Temora actually tell our pilots to use the order "Traffic Temora" for precisely that reason.

When I worked in CASA and they put out the first issue of the CAAP on circuit area broadcasts I suggested that to the colleague who had written it - his reply was

"Yes, I agree, but we have had too many changes in AIP recently and I didn't think it was important enough to make another change"

So there! Many people in GA have made this change for themselves, there are others steadfastly teaching the exact words in AIP or the CAAP even though they know which sequence is better (and CASA are not fussy about it these days, and Airservices only care if you are a Controller!)

There are also too many people making every broadcast on the menu even when there is nobody else there - only two calls are mandated going into an aerodrome, and two going out - effectively they are an intention to use the circuit airspace, and actually entering that airspace - usually described as 1. inbound before reaching the (10 NM) "vicinity of the aerodrome", 2. inbound at the time of joining circuit, 3. Taxying for departure (intent to use the circuit airspace), and 4. commencing a take-off (outbound at the point of entering the circuit. All other calls are to be used as required to alert other traffic to your whereabouts - either to update others who need to know, or to reply to someone else who is about to use the circuit airspace.

Likewise in Class E we should listen to the Class E frequency most of the time, and announce if we are entering the airspace or changing level through an IFR level, or if someone else is known to be in conflict. (Pure US Class E is totally transparent as regards VFR traffic - i.e. the controllers do not have a need to know about them. Only in Australia and a few European countries is Class E used with mandatory transponders for all (except gliders in Australia) IFR and VFR traffic - at least until February 2017 when ADS-B will be mandated for all IFR, and for VFR in some non-radar airspace. ADS-B is usually, but not necessarily, driven by a Mode S transponder.

Wombat