On Mar 7, 2016, at 2:12 PM, Justin Couch <jus...@vlc.com.au> wrote:

> On 7/03/2016 1:42 PM, Mark Newton wrote:
>> Reputable standards bodies insist on open royalty free patent licensing
>> these days. The ones that don’t are slowly marginalizing themselves.
>
> Incorrect. I've been involved in the ISO standards writing process for just
> over 20 years now - including part of the MPEG 4 and 7 standards, so I know
> it inside out.

Then you’d know that RAND licensing is an area of active controversy, which
some standards bodies have taken an active role in, particularly in the data
communications space.

>> I can write an MPEG implementation which interoperates with everyone else’s
>> MPEG streams and distribute it in competition with other MPEG
>> implementations, by following the text of the standard.
>
> No you can't. You can try, but they will come after you, particularly if you
> write an encoder. That's why alternates like Ogg guys started out - to
> completely avoid the patents.

… and yet here I am, sitting in front of a workstation loaded with free
software, including a rich set of AV tools which support decode and encode in
mp2, mp3 and mp4, for which no royalties have been paid to anyone.

  - mark