My spin training was just as Harry described below, in a K7 at Dunstable. Talk
about ground rush…

I would never, ever get into a Puchacz to spin it, especially off a winch
launch. We need to retain all the pilots we have.

From: Aus-soaring [mailto:aus-soaring-boun...@lists.base64.com.au] On Behalf Of
Harry
Sent: Sunday, 8 May 2016 12:54 PM
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] The Golden Age

Hi All,

A few comments to add to Peter Brockman’s  thoughtful contribution.

My first experience as an instructor in relation to spin training was at a
winch launch club  which on a yearly basis brought in a tug and training
involved a 3,000 ft. launch. No problem with spin recovery with trainees or
those seeking a yearly revalidation. It was done correctly. My next experience
was at a winch launch club where aerotow was unavailable and for some of the
year difficult to  climb away after a winch launch. After personal
experimentation I was able, using a Blanik which has benign spin training
characteristics, to enter a spin at 1,300 ft, execute one turn and recover by
the mandated 1,000 ft. However the student response was quite different.
Despite very careful preflight briefing the student, as soon as he saw the
ground directly underneath him, would pull the control column backwards and
also away from the downgoing wing. Just what you would do to keep a glider in a
spin. Pilots need to told of this automatic reaction, even though training is
done at a high altitude. I also used to say to nervous pilots, (most of them),
that what we were doing was spin avoidance training. First item was to fly the
glider at safe speed near the ground and invite them to fly the glider in as an
unbalanced way as possible and attempt to induce a stall or spin. The other
item I considered important was that on every training flight, from the very
first, was to to positively emphasise that when we were below the height from
which spin recovery was doubtful, to consciously select safe speed near the
ground. On early winch training flights, to maximise time available, I would
waffle along downwind leg training as we went. What I was teaching them
subliminally was that I myself was happy to break the safe speed near the
ground rule.

Harry Medlicott