The probes are quite short. You only need a long probe to move the active part of the probe away from the stagnation point and flow field around the fin or tailplane.

The tailplane tip chord appears to be very small. Probably no more prone to damage than the rather long probe forward of the fin. There's an image on the Facebook page that seems to show that the connections will be done manually at least at present.

Interesting possibility to screw up the connections when rigging. I'd want 3 different size tubes because we all know about Murphy's Law. I think it is a great idea though, although I don't think it will help or hinder variometer performance. I still favour the landing gear door

location for the TE probe but all pressure TE varios have fundamental problems which probe location doesn't fix. I tested that about 30 years ago in comparison to the fin location and forward of the nose. Seemed best but vulnerable to damage. Needs some kind of

spring loaded mounting which I never got around to doing as I got interested in fixing the horizontal gust problem which in the end needed some new technology to get cheap enough. Now fixed and only pending a couple of test flights to verify latest software load in the

Dynamis system.

What we have found is that ALL current TE varios except for Dynamis tell lies much of the time. As primary varios they are obsolete.

As for Benalla the JS3 appears to have only just flown and they have only 3 weeks, 4 max to get it/them to Benalla. Real squeaky for a boat. Maybe they are planning air freight. Or maybe there are 3 and they already shipped two? Gold in the speculation olympics :-)

Mike