Not only save weight but the wings wouldn't shrink, warp or develop waviness.
Using pre pregs in the fuselage would save non lifting parts weight and save even more wing weight.

I don't know what the GP Gliders guys are using but they show a test to destruction of the GP14 13.5 meter wing. Broke at over 10 G and the wing weighs 31Kg.

I think using their technology they could build an 18M two seat electric self launcher with an empty weight of 300 KG. I think the GP14/15 looks even better than the JS3 although I must congratulate the Jonkers for actually designing what looks like a complete new glider instead of the German method of simply adding different wings to an existing fuselage.

For moving gliders around on the ground it may be time to put two wheel main landing gear on the things and steerable tailwheels with electric motors in the main wheels for taxiing. This would also work for motorless gliders.

Mike

/At 06:18 PM 12/13/2016, you wrote:
>>This makes the whole rigging and de-rigging issue almost irrelevant.

Yes, but makes the handling of the glider on a remote airstrip very
much more important because you don't have your mates around you to
help rotate the glider, push back beyond the cones, run a wing etc.

Gliders like the 25 are great if you always land back where you took
off from but if you are going away from home, you need to bring some
friends along.

My guess is that if the Germans went for pre-preg they'd save a heap
of weight in the wings.

Borgelt Instruments - design & manufacture of quality soaring instrumentation since 1978
www.borgeltinstruments.com
tel:   07 4635 5784     overseas: int+61-7-4635 5784
mob: 042835 5784                :  int+61-42835 5784
P O Box 4607, Toowoomba East, QLD 4350, Australia