Or text while driving like the idiot I followed for a while coming back from the airfield this afternoon (at a safe distance).

The US limitations are up to 6000 pounds, can be IFR and up to 18,000 feet below 250 knots. The Brits 2000Kg AFAIK and 10000 feet probably isn't any kind of serious limitation in the UK. Who knows what goes on in the minds of government bureaucrats besides "how do I keep my pay, perks, position, pension and power to make them keep happening"? The limits are pretty arbitrary and probably don't have any rational reasoning behind them. The Australian "Driver's licence medical" is actually a Heavy vehicle Drivers medical and the standards are exactly the same as for a Class 2(PPL) medical only done by your GP instead of a DAME. It is nonsense to impose any restrictions. How the number of engines has anything to do with anything, I don't know.

Don't forget the BGA had a self declaration thing before the EU nonsense took hold. They never could find any reason for aviation medicals as the majority of the accidents with a medical component were by people with aviation medicals or were serving military officers who had medicals at least as or more rigorous than aviation medicals.

The real issue here is whether the State has any business restricting the activities of individuals when there is no evidence that such activities cause third party risk anywhere near as high as the risks we all accept everyday.

Mike

At 06:17 PM 1/11/2017, you wrote:
Thanks Mike,

I was playing devil's advocate.

>You might also like to contemplate that in the case of sudden incapacitation when driving a car you are far more likely to damage property and innocent third parties than in an aircraft. Aircraft crash all the time for all sorts of reasons (98 vs 160,000) and how often is anything significant on the ground damaged? Cars seem to end up in houses with monotonous regularity.

True.

But what is sadder that many choose to become medically incapacitated by driving whilst intoxicated, damaging/killing third parties.

Interesting though the limitations on the new medical declarations (ie single engine only, below 10,000', a/c below a certain weight and numbers of Pax), does anyone know how they were decided?

By your arguments, why should there be a Medical for any pilot?

Borgelt Instruments - design & manufacture of quality soaring instrumentation since 1978
www.borgeltinstruments.com
tel:   07 4635 5784     overseas: int+61-7-4635 5784
mob: 042835 5784                :  int+61-42835 5784
P O Box 4607, Toowoomba East, QLD 4350, Australia