I'd settle for the Brit option for aircraft under 2000Kg and the American for more than that but it is all nonsense anyway.

I'm not sure that any of the aviation regulation beyond the relatively simple rules of air on who gives way, how to approach and depart aerodromes etc does any good. The insurance costs will prssure commercial aviation into behaving, besides it is bad for business if you kill passengers. Having said that, with all the regulation we have stupid things like flying over an active warzone which are done routinely (MH17). Oh yes it was OK above 32000 feet. So what if you have an engine failure or a decompression event?

For private aviation, imagine if YOU couldn't hide behind compliance with regulations and were totally responsible for the safety of the aircraft? It would probably get inspected and checked more often than the regulatory minimum and if not, Mr Darwin's Awards are waiting.

Here's the link to the Avweb article http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/FAA-Issues-New-GA-Medical-Rule-228312-1.html?ET=avweb:e3568:249942a:&st=email

The comments are interesting.

Mike