>The GPL, as I understand it, is now supposed to allow glider pilots to fly
overseas (BUT not in Australia). Just out of interest, has anyone actually
done that yet?

Yes, I have an FAA licence issued on the back of my GPL. It wasn't too
painful, except for having to pickup the FAA licence in person(!)

I also received a temporary German validation to fly based off it, but the
process was far more complex and expensive than it was without the GPL -
but I suspect this is because we're now going in the front door of the LBA,
whereas the traditional route of finding someone amenable inside the LBA
was ironically much more straightforward.