I'd like to see the GPC give the same rights as L2 Independent Ops,
but only require a checkride to maintain it (just like PPL/RAA)
instead of being reliant on a CFI's annual blessing. If a GPC pilot
isn't considered good enough to be responsible for their own actions,
something is terribly wrong with the training system.

A driver's license is yours until you do something silly to lose it,
and you are responsible for your own driving. The same goes for
PPL/RAA, boating, and a huge pile of other activities. Just like these
activities, equipment owners/clubs are free to place whatever
additional requirements they want on the use of their facilities.

If a GPC holder can't be trusted to be responsible for their own
operations then they should never have been given a GPC.

Cheers,

Al