At 07:12 AM 9/02/01 +1000, Mike B wrote:
>Descending in a turn has one other big advantage - the target will be
>moving in your field of view until the collision.
>It is much easier for human beings to pick up objects moving in the field
>of view.
>
>The usual mid air problem in straight flight is that the target won't be
>moving in your field.
>
>This can be a trap when joining thermals as the glider you are joining on
>won't look like a target until just at the collision.
>
>Mike Borgelt

Well put Mike,

It's similar to catching a high hit ball...........if you keep your head
and eyes still you easily can pick up where the ball is going to and you
then just run over and catch it.

If your head and eyes are jumping up and down as you run, the human
computer has a lot harder job of judging where the ball is going. The West
Indies' cricketers haven't worked that one out yet.

But long straight descents back into the circuit are not recommended either.

We had a Super Cub run the trailing tow rope over the wing of a K13 in the
circuit a few years ago.

The glider was flying a very long downwind leg and the tug was descending
from a launch from straight behind the K13.

The tuggie never saw the glider, which was hidden under the nose of the
Super Cub.

The glider pilots heard the roar of the engine and saw a main wheel pass
just beside the canopy and just above the wing.

The rope did not catch in the aileron joint and very little damage was done.

Close call. The glider pilot was a tuggie as well and had a charter
passenger on board.

The glider pilots changed their pants after they landed.

Alan Wilson's clearing turns are a good idea when mixed with straight
flight into already checked and vacant airspace a mile or so around you.

It hopefully avoids unnecessary cockpit PENETRATIONS by rapidly spinning
metal bits.