Update so far:

GME only support Non-Aviation Garmin GPS models.

GME put me onto RossAir in Adelaide who support Aviation GPS's.
RossAir believe that the GPS92 recharges the internal lithium battery from
the External 12V supply. To do this the four AA batteries need to be removed
and the external 12V supply connected and left for 24hrs.

If this doesn't work then it has to be sent back to the States for repair as
there are no authorised repair agents in Australia.

Hopefully the recharging will work.

I will let you know the outcome.

Thanks
Peter