I should have mentioned (wrt Ron's posting) that the Reno office of the FAA
couldn't cope with the little white card because it had no photo.  We took
everything we had and let them decide and they picked the green book.  They
also issued us commercial licences because of our instructors tickets.  Its
likely that different offices/people cope with different things

This was 1993.

-Cath