The Recreational Licence issue has raised considerable heat in this forum.  I have
been reading the various postings with interest, but without total understanding.

In order to engage brain before putting mouth in gear I have spent a winter's Sunday
afternoon reading the CASA Part 61 Discussion paper, the GFA comment and a bunch of
other related papers which turned up when I searched the CASA web site.

Arguments abound both for and against moving to a Licence system. Having read all this
paperwork and previous postings in this forum I would support moving to a licence
scheme for aircraft category "Gliders" on the following basis:

1.  All licences would be issued by CASA on recommendation from GFA, or be issued by
GFA under delegation from CASA.

2.  All training be competency based.

3.  Current GFA medical requirements be retained.

4.  GFA recommendation for Pilot Licence - Glider issue to be based on achievement of
the requirements defined for the current "C" certificate.

5.  A separate Rating be designated for each launch type, for High Altitude Soaring
(wave) and Ridge Soaring.

6.  GFA recommendation for "Flight Instructor" rating be based on the current Level 1
instructor endorsement requirements.

7.  GFA recommendation for "Pilot Examiner" rating be based on the current Level 2
instructor endorsement requirements.

8.  GFA recommendation for Instructor Training endorsement to be in accordance with
current Level 3 instructor endorsement arrangements.

9.  Licences to remain valid indefinitely, however Ratings endorsed on the licence
will be subject to flight review in accordance with the GFA MOSP Operations section.

The thoughts which brought me to the above concept are as follow:

Item 1:  It would be desirable to have a "Pilot Licence - Glider" in some
circumstances.  Allowing issue based on GFA recommendation ensures grand bureaucracy
can be held at bay - While I dislike some aspects of the GFA system I believe it is a
substantially better option than running directly under CASA.  To make the licence
useful overseas it would have to have "CASA" and a pilot mug shot printed on the
front.  I also subscribe with some anxiety to the concept that licences are coming
regardless, and it would be better under our terms.

Item 2:  Part 61 and all the other CASA documents are big on Competency Based
Training.  The vast majority of GFA training is already laid out on this basis.
Documented sign off of exercises would be required.  Many clubs already do this by use
of pilot training books they have developed.  It would probably pay for GFA to gather
up copies of these and distil a common document going through to "C" certificate
(Licence).

Item 3:  A look through GFA accident reports doesn't highlight a significant
contribution from pilot incapacitation.  The cost of continuing medicals (whoever does
them) would be better directed towards a continuing campaign of pilot harassment on
Lookout and Stall Awareness.  This would occasionally save a life.

Item 4:  Licence issue should be made when we believe the pilot is competent to fly
cross country and carry a private passenger.  I happen to disagree with the current
arrangement where GFA Independent Operator authorisation requires a Silver badge.  In
particular I don't see what a 5 hour flight contributes to safety.  All it proves is
that the pilot is good at crossing his/her legs.  No other form of aviation requires a
5 hour flight to get a licence.

Item 5: The CASA licence proposals recognise "Ratings" for each licence category.  For
the Glider category I believe each launch type should be a separate rating (this
follows current common sense practice).  I believe High Altitude soaring (>FL120) is
worthy of a separate Rating since it transgresses into Oxygen and Aviation Medical
issues the average flat lands pilot never gets to deal with.  Ridge Soaring is another
area not regularly dealt with by many pilots and which requires a bit of education to
ensure pilots stay alive.  No separate Rating is required for Thermalling since the
only safety issue particular to this activity is to join thermals in the same
direction of rotation and I don't believe any Sports issues (more efficient climbing)
should get tangled up in the Licence process.

Items 6, 7 & 8:  The current GFA endorsements work well, fit quite well to the CASA
proposed licence scheme and should be retained.

Item 9:  Indefinite licences are recommended by the CASA documents, with Ratings
subject to review.  This is quite sensible since it minimises the bureaucracy
associated with issuing licences and leaves the Rating review issue to a sensibly
thought out document that can be modified over time.  The current GFA practice of
annual checks is valid for flying in general (and probably should be applied on a
Launch Type basis).  High Altitude Soaring and Ridge Flying could probably be reviewed
less often (2 or 3 years).

Redmond Quinn
Adelaide University Gliding Club