Thanks Jason. The outlanding walk is the clincher! No model 35 or mouse
GPS for me (especially when handheld GPS's are available at less
money!).

AND . . . I think I have discovered a breakthrough to the dilemma . . .
a new model Garmin, the "72" at approx A$380?, much better than either
the yellow eTrex or the old model "12". If my suspicions are correct,
this could well be the best low cost club level GPS and flight recorder,
with the added bonus of linking to an iPaq to use soaring specific
software if required.

Now if one of the software producers could only get IGC approval we
would have created a paradigm shift!! Even better if Garmin got it!!

Details:
Garmin 72, 12v, display and buttons are easy to see/use in flight. Some
may say too big?
2048 trackpoints "interval adjusted by time or distance".
Audible proximity alarms! Even tells when sunset will happen for those
of us that will outland!
Best used vertically but the display is not at the 'top' end . . pity.
Accepts up to 1 megabyte of data from the optional MapSourceT Points of
Interest CD
Display 1.6" x 2.2" = 3.5sq", 160x120 = 19k pixels (5kp/sq"), four
levels of grey.
More at http://www.garmin.com/products/gps72/
http://www.gpsw.co.uk/acatalog/P_GARGPS72.htm

For those familiar with the "76", it is the same minus the external
aerial socket and a lesser display (and slightly different voltage range
but still 12v). Perhaps it requires a PC cable to be purchased
separately? (included with all '76' models).
The lesser display is ok because it is not a mapping GPS.
I'm going to buy one then I can stop thinking about it.

Btw, the iPaq H3950 is less costly than I estimated at $990 inc gst
including a special "free" Mobility Pack that includes:
12v Car and synch charger (& cable),  BEAUTY :-)
Screen Protector and Screen Cloth,
Extra Stylus,
Thumbpad keyboard,
Combo Case.

I think I have found the end of this torturous maze at last!

Thanks to all who helped me along the way.

Best regards,

Jim Kelly.