Nigel

This might add an interesting dimension to competition tracking if each
glider were fitted with an ADS-B transponder, and portable ground stations
capable of relaying data to a web site for live tracking feeds could be used
to give ground crew back at the launch point some idea of where everyone is
at.

Of course, whether you then give each competitor a receiver to allow them to
track their opposition or not is another question for competition
organisers.  Perhaps issues with too much time spent in the cockpit, thus
reduced lookout and safety.  Even if receivers were not not fitted (or
permitted) in the glider, ground support crew might be able to radio details
to their person in the air about rivals tactics.

I agree with Stephen Kittel re: the dangers of "assumed safety" if a glider
or other aircraft doesn't appear on the receiver, one might be lulled into
believing they aren't there at all, when in fact their transponder might have
a fault, low battery, etc.

And of course, the power-thirstiness of such a beast might still be a problem
for gliders with 7Ah batteries.

Still, an interesting idea which might have novel uses in competitions.  The
idea of real-time tracking of tactics certainly makes them less boring for
spectators.

Cheers

Jason

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 07:23:52 +1000, RF Developments wrote
> Just a note for those who may not know, there is a trial of a system
> ( which I am involved in as well ) using GPS and modified
> transponder transmitters to broadcast ADS-B messages, which are GPS
> derived. This system hopefully will replace the existing mode A/C
> transponders we currently use. The plan is to roll out as many
> ground stations ( which are receiving only ) as possible to cover a
> fairly large area of Australia, previously not covered by the
> conventional transponder interrogators. The new unit will require no
> pilot intervention, as the messages are broadcasted from your
> aircraft twice a second, which your call sign, heading, altitude,
>  integrity etc. One safety benefit is that for under a few hundred
> dollars, you should be able to buy a receiver with LCD screen, that
> will display all aircraft broadcasting in your area ( line of site ),
>  in effect, a crash avoidance and traffic alert!
>
> The whole ADS-B system has many other features, the Air Services
> Australia website has an excellent web presence dedicated to the ADS-
> B trials which are currently going ( the ADS-B receiver is at
> Bundaberg ) , Honeywell have won the tender to supply 17 aircraft
> and Microair ( whom I am contracted to develop this ) will supply
> the low cost GA/UL/Gliding version, based on the current T2000 technology.
>
> Cheers, Nigel
>
> Nigel Andrews
> Managing Director
> RF Developments Pty Ltd
> "A Queensland Company devoted to Research and Development in aviation
> electronics"
> Email [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Web  www.rf-developments.com
> Ph: (61) 7 54635670 Fax: (61) 7 54635695

> The information contained in the above e-mail message or messages
> (which includes any attachments) is confidential and may be legally
> privileged. It is intended only for the use of the person or entity
> to which it is addressed. If you are not the addressee any form of
> disclosure, copying, modification, distribution or any action taken
> or omitted in reliance on the information is unauthorised.  If you received
> this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and
> delete it from your computer system network.

transient