-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Mike
Borgelt
Sent: Tuesday, 9 September 2003 13:56
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [aus-soaring] Rocket launching of gliders ?

At 01:11 PM 9/09/03 +1000, you wrote:
>Thanks Wombat
>
>You're the first person to identify an "allied" rocket-assist glider launch
>method.  I certainly knew about the Komet that others have mentioned, but I
>can't imagine anyone in their right mind being terribly keen to fly one,
>nor on the BGA having access to very many.
>
> From my visit to the War Memorial, I can recall that the Komet would race
>up to meet the incoming Allied aircraft, shoot at them, and then glide back
>to the airfield.  The Allies realised that this latter phase of their
>flight was their weakness, and decided to send fighters in low to pick off
>the Komets as they were in or near to the circuit area and thus sitting
>ducks.  If contact with the volatile fuel didn't kill the pilots, the
>Allied fighter aircraft finished them off.
>
>Jason

Hanging around German fighter airfields at low altitude wasn't all that
healthy either. Their AAA was pretty good and they sometimes tasked a FW190
unit to protect the rockets or jets in the landing and takeoff phase.

Mike
Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784
          Int'l + 61 429 355784
email:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
website: www.borgeltinstruments.com

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Armistead;Allan
FN:Allan Armistead
ORG:Allan Armistead Consulting International
TEL;WORK;VOICE:(02) 6249-6470
TEL;HOME;VOICE:(02) 6249-6470
TEL;CELL;VOICE:0413 013 911
TEL;WORK;FAX:(02) 6249-6555
ADR;WORK:;;PO Box 908;DICKSON;ACT;2602;Australia
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:PO Box 908=0D=0ADICKSON, ACT 2602=0D=0AAustralia
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
REV:20020314T051104Z
END:VCARD