Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2003 1:47 AM
Subject: [Aus-soaring] Parachutes

Ken,
I found out today that Parachutes Australia have issued a Service Bulletin (No.PA SB9502 Rev 2) which lifes their containers,harness and canopies for the types listed, at  20yrs. The list includes most types which we normally use in gliders, including the slimpacks and thinbacks. If the equipment has exceeded that time, it is to be taken out of service.
We have 8 which are suddenly of no use, and I suspect many other clubs are in a similar situation.

I don't recall seeing any advice on this matter and note that the bulletin distribution did not include GFA, although I was told "someone at GFA office"was informed.

As there is a requirement to have a serviceable parachute for comps, this may affect some entrants to this years events.
Forwarded for your information.
Regards
Glenn Mclean