-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Leigh
Bunting
Sent: Tuesday, 9 December 2003 9:40 PM
To: Soaring List
Subject: [Aus-soaring] What a day??

Hi All,

It was a stinker in Melbourne and even hotter in Adelaide. From
Melbourne there appeared to be Cu from horizon to horizon.

As we climbed out of Tullamarine on the 1745 to Adelaide, we passed
through the base of the Cu at 12000 abeam Bacchus Marsh.

We were tooling along at 400kts ground speed at FL390 in the tops of the
cirrus. Through the gaps in the cirrus, I could see the Cu continuing
all the way to at least abeam Bordertown. Sitting on the left side, I
couldn't see what was happening in the northern sector as we approached
the coastal area of the Coorong. Turning towards Adelaide, we descended
through the Cu at FL150 to FL160.

Walking across the Adelaide tarmac, the Cu was still active at 1830
local, all the way north.

A day you seem to have been able to have gone anywhere in a glider. As
it wasn't me, did anyone have the chance to use what appeared to be the
best soaring day in years?

If so, let's hear about it.

Leigh Bunting
Colonel Light Gardens