-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Kittel,
Stephen W (ETSA)
Sent: Tuesday, 13 January 2004 4:34 PM
To: 'Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.'
Subject: RE: [Aus-soaring] Elevation data for Australian Turnpoints

Just before the thread dies I thought I'd jump in.

I always thought the position and heights given in ERSA were based on
the
"main wind indicator" and wasn't aware of the aerodrome reference point.
Out
of interest I actually RTFM! (intro-6 and onwards) and this is what
appears
to be indisputable:

There is an aerodrome reference point on some diagrams.
The elevation given is for the highest point of the landing area.
Geographic location is given in degrees, minutes and tenth of minutes.

So although it would be logical to think the location and elevation are
at
the same place and this is usually the reference point, nothing actually
confirms it (elevation related might explain why the reference points
are
splattered around without any obvious reason).

Regards
SWK

Some have lighting some do not.
Some have landing aids some do not.