From the Gliding and motorgliding web page:*

*

*European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) A report for all members of BGA clubs*

As many of you will be aware, European Union Regulation 1592/2002 established the European Aviation Safety Authority (EASA) as a body which will regulate most aspects of civil aviation within the European Union. Gliding is included within the scope of this regulation, and since September 28, 2003 we have been subject to formal regulation for some of our activities. This is a fundamental change for gliding in the UK, which has previously been unregulated. At present it appears the new rules will encompass registration and certification, pilot licensing and operations. The initial parts of these regulations affect registration and certification.

The BGA is engaged in intensive negotiation with the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) and the Department for Transport (DfT) to minimise the effects of these changes, and it is now time to advise you all of progress to date. The DfT has allowed us to carry on much as before by granting a temporary waiver from the effects, but this is very much a "stay of execution".

For those of you who wish to study these new rules, there are several EU documents that require study to gain a full appreciation of the rules. These are regulation 1592 (21pages), 1643 (three pages), 1701 (one page), 1702 (79 pages) and 2042 (165 pages).

I have described the immediate effects on our glider fleet below, and enclose a more detailed letter from Jim Hammerton, our Chief Technical Officer.

*The New Status of UK Gliders *

UK gliders will be divided into three groups, with differing future requirements:

/a) Gliders imported since 28 September 2003./

These aircraft will be registered with the CAA, and be allocated a "G" registration. The BGA offered to manage this register on behalf of the CAA, but were advised this would not be legally possible. We believe these processes can largely be managed by the BGA under our current or future approvals, and whilst there will undoubtedly be more bureaucracy there will hopefully only be a minor effect on owners. There will also be some benefits in having an internationally recognised C of A and record keeping. The DfT has proposed these rules be implemented from September 28, 2004, with a transition period of one year for those aircraft imported between September 2003 and September 2004. There will be some CAA fees to pay on initial registration and change of ownership.

/b) Gliders existing in the UK prior to September 28, 2003, excluding those in "Annex II " of regulation 1592/2002./

These gliders can continue to operate in the UK as they do now, using BGA registration and Cs of A, under regulation 1702 Article 2.11, until March 28, 2007. The BGA has requested these aircraft should be permanently exempted from the regulations under a formal derogation, and the DfT has agreed to put the case to EASA for such derogation following a formal request, with justification, from the BGA. If this derogation is not granted these gliders will come under the same rules as those in a) above after March 2007.

/c) Gliders existing in the UK prior to September 28, 2003, included in "Annex II" of regulation 1592./

These are aircraft, which meet a variety of requirements, including ex military, historic aircraft and other categories. We estimate a significant portion of the existing BGA fleet may possibly be covered. These aircraft can continue to operate in the UK as at present as they are out with the regulations. A study of the BGA registered types is ongoing to determine which gliders may be exempted.

*Where do we go from here?*

You are advised that we are still talking to the authorities, and some of the above may well change.

We are continuing to work with the CAA and DfT, and we believe both these bodies are genuinely doing their best to help minimise the impact of EASA on UK gliding. In due course we will also have to deal with maintenance, pilot licensing and operations, all of which will have an impact on us. We will advise you of changes in these areas.

In the short term all owners of gliders which may be required to have EASA Cs of A are advised to carefully note the contents of the accompanying letter from Jim Hammerton.

There will be much work for many members of our sub committees over the next few years, and I ask you to be tolerant of these volunteers when they have to bring what may often seem as unwelcome bureaucracy to our sport, with no clear benefit. I can only assure you all we will continue in our efforts to get the best deal we can out of EASA - we do not have the option of saying no to these rules. This is the European Superstate in Action!

*Terry Slater, BGA negotiator *

--
Leigh Bunting
Colonel Light Gardens