At 11:01 PM 16/03/04 +1030, you wrote:
> From the Gliding and motorgliding web page:*
>
>*
>
>*European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) A report for all members of BGA
>clubs*
>
>As many of you will be aware, European Union Regulation 1592/2002
>established the European Aviation Safety Authority (EASA) as a body
>which will regulate most aspects of civil aviation within the European
>Union. Gliding is included within the scope of this regulation, and
>since September 28, 2003 we have been subject to formal regulation for
>some of our activities. This is a fundamental change for gliding in the
>UK, which has previously been unregulated. At present it appears the new
>rules will encompass registration and certification, pilot licensing and
>operations. The initial parts of these regulations affect registration
>and certification.

Sounds like emigrating to the US might be a good idea. The FAA treats
gliders completely sensibly. i.e. with benign neglect. Most privately owned
modern gliders are registered as "Experimental - Air racing/exhibition"
even when they are type approved types.
It goes to show you don't need to have a gliding organisation run things  -
you just need a good political lobby.

Hopefully Europe will collapse under the weight of its bureaucracy in the
not too distant future.

Mike
Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784
          Int'l + 61 429 355784