At 01:41 PM 20/04/04 +1000, you wrote:
>Should be:
>
>http://members.optusnet.com.au/nickyhead/SYMPOS69.TXT
>
>http://members.optusnet.com.au/nickyhead/SYMPOS70.TXT
>
>http://members.optusnet.com.au/nickyhead/SYMPOS71.TXT
>
>http://members.optusnet.com.au/nickyhead/SYMPOS72.TXT
>
>Regards
>Jarek

Thanks, David and to Jarek for the correct links.

I just skimmed the 1969 notes and highly recommend all of them and the
other years. Some of the stuff is dated but it is surprising how relevant
much of it is. A lot of this is in Reichmann's book also except for the
criticism of some German sailplanes!

You people who have been gliding for a long time should read these notes
also. You will find out why you "know" certain things.

A fair bit of stuff on contest philosophy that gets into some of the sports
psychology stuff too as well as how to practice.

Interesting George Moffat comment on other than speed tasks using fixed
turnpoints. Yes, even back then there were other than fixed speed tasks.
Called "cat's cradle". Get airborne and after start time fly as far as
possible around a given set of turnpoints in any order until you can't stay
up anymore.(open ended POST task, actually PODT- pilot option distance task).
I once set and flew one of these and  got a 5 km walk in the dark down a
country road for my trouble.

A lot of the vario stuff is of historical interest now but if you conclude
that TE varios didn't work very well most of the time back then you would
be right.

Mike

Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784
          Int'l + 61 429 355784