Colin

Details can be below my signature for the bulk flying schemes of Southern
Cross Gliding Club at Camden.

We have run bulk flying pretty much as-is for the last 5 years, with the cost
structure being tweaked a bit along the way.  In this year's incarnation, we
introduced the "away" portion for camps / comps away from Camden as well, and
will review it at year end to see how well it has worked.

Of a member population of 110 Full Flying members (total club members = 175-
ish), we get around 25 to 35 bulk fliers each year.  Our fleet consists of a
K-13, 2 * IS-28, 1 * DG-1000 two seaters, and one each for Junior, Astir and
Jantar single seaters.  When we first started with Bulk Flying we had one
more IS-28 and did not have the DG-1000.

Our perspective is that this sort of scheme encourages people to take more
tug launches, which is really where we are able to make a profit (contrary to
what most people might think, you do not make it from flying gliders).  If
you go out to the airfield knowing that it will cost you, say, 2 launch fees
for two Bulk flights, then you have already planned your flying budget,
rather than deciding if two flights of X + Y minutes plus respective launch
costs meets your budget allowance.

Cheers

Jason Armistead
Membership Secretary
Southern Cross Gliding Club Inc
Camden NSW
Visit http://www.gliding.com.au/ !

Bulk Flying Scheme for 2003/2004 Season:

This year, we have two different schemes available, which we’ve
nicknamed “Home and Away”, with the following common features:

·       Available to all Full Flying adult and Student club members
·       You still pay for tug launches at regular club rates
·       Includes both single and two seater club aircraft
·       Includes mutual flying and also passenger flights

At Home, i.e. Camden:

·       Cost is $600 i.e. just over 14 hours of flying at $0.70 per minute
·       Covers all club glider hire at Camden from October 1st 2003 to
September 30th 2004
·       No pro-rata discount - it’s $600 no matter when you pay the entry fee
·       Includes all flying at Camden
·       Excludes flights at camps away from Camden

While Away, i.e. at Club camps and Club sanctioned competitions

·       Cost is $300 i.e. just over 7 hours of flying at $0.70 per minute
·       Covers all club glider hire at all Club sanctioned camps and
competitions away from Camden from October 1st 2003 to September 30th 2004.
Whether you go to one camp or all of them you only have to pay once.
·       No pro-rata discount - it’s $300 no matter when you pay the entry fee
·       Excludes all flying at Camden (though you can certainly pay $600 and
join the “Home” scheme as well !)
·       Excludes private flying expeditions away from Camden, e.g. if you
decided to take a glider to the QLD comps.

On Mon, 17 May 2004 23:14:47 +1000, Colin & Yvonne Campbell wrote
> I am researching bulk flying schemes.
> Could anyone with details of a Club's experience please respond with
details of cost, conditions etc.