At 09:43 PM 16/09/04 +0930, you wrote:
>Mike Borgelt wrote:
>
>>The rules are that aircraft without generating systems(gliders and some
>>others) can fly in Class E without transponders except in Class E within
>>40nm of Class D towers.
>>

>And that is exactly how I have understood the rules to be also.  I have
>used Class E on several ocassions.
>
>Does anyone know how a radar system reacts to a thermaling glider that
>is transponder equipped?
>
>A couple of decades ago, I was one of a group touring through Adelaide
>ATC one evening. Out north of Adelaide an RAAF Macchi was doing loops in
>the dark and the radar system of the day had the equivalent of the Blue
>Screen of Death. ATC was a bit embarrassed and hurried us out.
>
>Imagine a radar system with forty gliders thermalling if the system
>can't understand what is happening.

Leigh,

There is certainly a lot more computer power associated with ATC radar in
the Australian environment now. I imagine that the controller can simply
set the system to ignore any useles clutter like a bunch of gliders
thermalling.

Anyone know for sure? Peter Creswick seemed to have inside info on the
radar system? Is he ATC?

re the night aerobatics, I thought RAAF standing orders prohibited greater
than 45 deg bank at night. Does seem to be widely ignored though as I
remember stars drifting by the canopy during loops and barrel rolls around
the rising moon during one memorable back seat Macchi ride. I even got to
practise aeros myself on that and quite a few other daytime rides.

Mike
Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784
          Int'l + 61 429 355784