For info on use of rope for winching, I suggest you contact Leongatha Gliding Club who have used rope winching extensively and have done a lot of research on rope.
Contact Bob Wylie on (03) 5664 2275
or email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
or John O'Neil one (03) 5655 2142

Note that because of the wear on the rope and therefor need to replace it more often, they estimated that each launch requires about 50cents towards rope replacement.

Hope this helps
Ken Dawber

Michael Derry wrote:

Issues we are thinking about at the moment include: how to deal with too
much tension coming on at the wrong time, or not enough tension. How
about the weight and drag of 10 mm rope especially over 1.8 kms or more ?
What about using lighter weight rope ? We are thinking of using 6 mm
cray pot rope? (cheaper, less stretchy and more hard wearing than poly
propelyne)

We would be particularly pleased to hear from anyone using a rope winch !

Regards

Michael Derry
Pulley Launch group Western Australia