Michael

You are after a strain gauge (also known as a load cell), and preferrably one
connected to a data logger of some sort to take regular measurements.  They
are basically a sensitive resistance bridge coupled to an instrumentation
amplifier and then some sort of A/D converter to turn it into a
displayed/recorded measurement.  Strain gauges come in different ranges
according to the maximum load they are designed to measure.  Don't go too
high or else you'll have trouble with noise versus low signal output (and
besides, they generally get physically larger too).

For an auto launch, the instrumentation can be attached to the rope/cable at
the auto end of things, but for the winch launch, because the rope/cable is
being wound onto a reel, you need to fit it to the glider end of things,
which means it also has to be capable of withstanding the drop back to earth
once the rope is released.

To try and relate the periodic measurements with the glider's progress during
the launch you may need to use a video camera to get a reference showing the
glider during each phase.

An interesting problem indeed !

My recommendation would be to start with the auto launch and then try and
find someone who can build you a ruggedised instrumentation package for the
winch later on.

It should be an interesting project indeed.

Regards

Jason Armistead

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 10:36:24 +1100 (added by [EMAIL PROTECTED]),
Michael Derry wrote