-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Mike
Cleaver
Sent: Friday, 14 January 2005 1:13 AM
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Zulu Romeo, Good Start

Jason and others with shorter memories than some of us (you did not all
exist 32 years ago!)

The film "Zulu Romeo, Good Start" was the film shot for the GFA of the 1974
World Gliding Championships, held at Waikerie in January 1974 by a
professional film production company.  At that stage it didn't have a
title.  The first screening was held at the Waikerie Driv e-in the night
before the end of the Championships, with towering Cus all around as the
day had been the best day yet of the comp with a 500 km task for just about
all classes, though I think it was not until the last day that Michael Kun
of Mexico, flying Zulu Sierra (now owned by Martin and Anna Gregory)
actually competed a task!

At that stage, Ingo Renner held a slim lead in Standard Class, flying the
Standard Cirrus, Zulu Romeo, that later gave the film its title.

On the last day, a Saturday, a 300 km task was set to the south-east and
south.  Bernard Fitchett of the UK (I think in 4th place) took an early
start and realised just before the first TP how much the day had improved,
when the Polish team flew past him at incredible speed.  The Poles had sent
an Open Class glider ahead to sniff out the lift for Stan Witek (I think)
who was in third place overall - he won the day handsomely, and the
practice of allowing a team-mate in another class to pairs-fly was banned
in World comps from then on.  Bernie took a second launch as soon as he had
finished the task, but his second circuit was a bit slower as the day was
by then dying.  Meanwhile, Ingo hit a gust on his starting run (Vne under a
100-metre gate) and bent the over-centre lock of the Cirrus divebrakes.  He
flew the entire task holding the brakes closed by hand,  but this and the
Polish team-flying made it impossible for him to hold the overall lead and
he finised a creditable second overall - hence the title Zulu Romeo, Good
Start!  This in itself was taken from the radio call confirming the start
line observers, with their mirror-sighting device, had located him below
the magic 1000 metres across the start line.

As Nick said, the GFA still holds the original print but it has been copied
many times and is now somewhat damaged - hence the request for a clean
copy.  Many of us have suggested it now should be re-mastered onto DVD for
future preservation and safe keeping.  32 years ago is a long time, but
many of the gliders that were there for the Worlds will be there again now,
competing in the Club Class Nationals - particularly the Libelles and
Cirruses.

Meanwhile, the Open Class winner in 1974, George Moffat (USA), is
reportedly editing his soaring textbook/memoirs "Winning on the Wind" for a
second edition to be published soon.

Wombat