I'd just like to add my 2 cents in on this debate, especially in
regards to point number 3.
I began gliding almost exactly one year and 2 weeks and no one in my
family has ever had  anything to do with gliding or aviation at all.
As a matter of fact, only one of the 6 juniors from SA had any family
gliding involvement at all, unfortunately only 2 of us competed but
this year thats all going to change - in fact I can name 5 definite
entries from SA so far for this years comp,  and thats only in the
single seat section.
I found out about Joeyglide a few months into starting the sport and
immediately began to aim for it - I saw it as a chance to test my new
skills alongside other young and similar minded people, who would be
unprejudiced about how long i'd been in the sport. As a result of
having Joeyglide to aim for I competed in 2 competitions in my first
year of flying, and flew countless 3 and 4 hundred flights - without
this to aim for I'm sure I would have been lucky to go xc, got bored
of local soaring and gone off elsewhere on my weekends.
This has also been the case for a number of juniors in our club -
Joeyglide gives us something to aim for, its a reason to hang out at
dusty gliding fields every weekend and help our clubs, and the sport,
to grow.
So in closing - an absolutely massive thankyou to all those who have
and are supporting the junior movement and Joeyglide, your help and
support is very much appreciated!

Sarah Allen - a female junior glider pilot