In a in a previous lifetime I worked for an emergency services organisation & was amazed the reporting of the incidents that I actually attended. Earlier in the time, in my opinion, >75% of the time about the only thing that the incident and the report had in common was the photograph and frequently that even misconstrued the true nature of the actual occurrence.

The above situation was improved by the use of a previously nominated official media representative who was able to supply a usable account while knowing how the media chain that followed would use the information.

Perhaps in this case a functional alternative would be for the Club involved to email a simple reasoned account immediately to the predetermined address list for editors of the local news outlets. I appreciate that in the heat of the moment this is a very tall order but perhaps for the sake of the sport it should be given a greater priority and put on the existing emergency actions list. The afforementioned emergency services organisation eventually found that it fared far better by dealing with the press & not ignoring them.

By relating the account in writing it is possible to clearly state the current understanding of facts of the issue, the limitations in the understanding and the need for accurate and speculation free reporting. This way it is possible to check & correct the text prior to transmission according to a GFA checklist, possibly use some 'legal safe' boilerplate, thus assisting in overcoming the difficulties in dealing with a highly emotional incident.

The media gets a clear and concise quote to report lacking in speculation and sensationalism ( oh well that buggers it ;-)

Cheers

Don

Kittel, Stephen W (ETSA) wrote:
In addition to what Mark said below. Way back when I did my instructors course, one of the staff instructors was a chap called Paul Bruer (Sp?). One of the things which we touched on was media handling after accidents. As an Advertiser (SA newspaper) employee, those were in fact his recommendations. Someone from the club should talk to the media and tell them the bleedin' obvious (but no speculation).

A single point GFA type contact really won't work. Given the opportunity to contact a distant and possibly not easy to access "official" account and just asking any old Joe who was nearby, I think I know which course the majority of media will take. Hence the diverse range of opinions reported re Gympie. The only way to reduce this is to make the information available to the media easy to get and _apparently_ substantial. In any case the media will still publish eyewitness "I was horrified when I saw..." stories. It's the column inches (or broadcast minutes) that they need to fill up.

Regards
SWK

********************************************************************** This email and any file attachments are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please tell us immediately by return email and delete the document. The information in this email expresses the opinion of the author and does not necessarily represent the views of ETSA Utilities. **********************************************************************