Roger and Jason,

Thanks for the good ideas. We may be able shift the axle and relocate the spare - at the moment it's right in the front. Neither are major changes but we had a bad experience with the DG-505 trailer after we shifted the axle so we're a little wary.

Graeme Cant

From: "Roger Druce" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [Aus-soaring] Looooong trailer registration
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 00:40:03 +1000

Rear overhang is fundamentally bad news and the weight distribution with the German two seater glider trailers having the wing roots to the front and the
fuselage nose to the front is bad news.  Sure you get the best riggability
that way and having regard to the trailer clamshell layout.

I have just spent hours on multiple spreadsheets working out the CofGs of
the different two seater trailer layout configurations, both bare glider,
glider plus carrying fittings and then all that plus trailer structure and
cladding.

My money is on less riggability convenience but better trailer stability
characteristics from a layout that gets the axles a long way back, ie wing
roots to rear, fuselage nose to front and with auxiliary bits and pieces
stowed within sideways opening rear door.  Less tail to wag the dog.  See
the article by Nelson Funston in "Technical Soaring" July 1989. That's what
I am doing with my trailer design.

If you can move the axles back to reduce the rear overhang without
increasing the towbar load to an unacceptable extent then do it.  You might
fit a carry box behind the axle and below the floor with a pull out tray to
relocate a significant proportion of the odds and ends stowed at the front
of the trailer. You might think they don't weigh much but they do. It does
help get the CofG back.  Or move the spare wheel (15 to 18 kg ie
non-trivial) to the rear of the trailer perhaps on one side of the fin in a
removeable but strong tiedownable frame or box, or on the rear door exterior
somehow.

With respect Graham don't persist with trying to justify 5.23 m overhang.
Get on with reducing the overhang by doing things which enable you to shift
the axles aftwards. Yes it takes effort and/or money. However it is really
good value for trailer safety for the long term.

Cheers
Roger Druce