Why are we getting so focused on 200'? How many glider midair collisions
have there been from people misjudging how close they were? I would imagine
that in most midair collisions, at least one pilot didn't see the other
aircraft, therefore being at least 200' away from the other glider was a
moot point. Even from the perspective of the pilot who could see the
approaching glider, waiting until 200' to initiate avoiding action could be
too late.

I believe that lookout and recognition of collision potential are far more
important. If you are going to hit another aircraft, it will be stationary
in the canopy - you won't hit another aircraft if the relative line of sight
is moving. Therefore if you see an aircraft that is stationary in the
windscreen at any distance you need to initiate avoiding action.

If you are thermalling in close proximity with another glider it is
comforting to know the pilot is visual with you. Therefore when a pilot
waves to you in a thermal, please wave back - not just to be friendly - but
to let him know that you see him too.

I'm afraid I couldn't think of any humorous gliding anectodes right now, but
I'll keep thinking.

Patrick Barfield