To: <aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net>
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2005 11:11 PM
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] More information on Flarm-reply to Wombat

>From: "Geoff Kidd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    Surely a "fair dinkum" discussion of all of the issues about Flarm
would benefit from Nigel and others being there to allow discussion of
the genuine technical issues.

    If they are not there, any discussion is prone to be highjacked by
misinformation, myth and academic double negative navel gazing.

    I hope & trust that this Flarm issue is not being "managed" by our
leaders, rather than having a genuine technically correct forum
discussion ........ where that GFA Seminar would have been an ideal
location to get right into it and give every attendee a full
understanding of the issues ....... if there was time of course. After
all we are only dealing with a way to reduce mid-airs, so perhaps several
other matters are more important.

Well, Geoff, this is part of what typing FLARM into the search box on the
GFA home page got me (in 2 seconds via Google):

...The following actions are in progress:
- The Operations Panel and Sports Committee are evaluating processes and
solutions.
- A trial of loaned FLARM equipment at the Multi-class Nationals at Gawler
is under negotiation by ASC.
- An Australian Avionics company is in negotiation with FLARM to locally
produce units.
- The GFA Board will consider the issue fully after input from the above
actions (no decision has been made yet)

Issues already identified are:
- Risk management
- Safety Case
- International standardisation
- Practicability
- Cost effectiveness

Any solution will only be a support to adequate Lookout. See: Safety
breifing

Any member wishing input to the process, please submit it to the Executive
Officer, as below.

John Welsh
Executive Officer
Gliding Federation of Australia
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Mob: 041 794 5981 (CDMA)
10 Merton Road,
Roleystone, WA 6111.

Now you have his name, address, phone number and email.  He'll be giving
up his weekend to be at the seminar.  Anything you'd like to say is
probably much better said to him directly than on this forum.  Give him a
call.  Warn him about the pitfalls of misinformation and myth and double
negative academic navel-gazing.  He's fairly new.  He probably doesn't
realise how some of his members get fixated on a pet hobby horse and try
to hijack discussions.    :)

    Seminar is defined in the Macquarie as a "meeting organised to
discuss a specific topic". Is part of that to be a discussion on Flarm
..... or just some presentations that mention the subject?

Why not ask John?  See what it says "...Any member wishing input to the
process, please submit it to the Executive Officer".

Graeme Cant

Geoff