Hi Amos
A Drifter is a tandem open rag and wire ultralight aircraft usually powered by a Rotax 503 2 stroke or similar and can be factory built or home built. The engine is a pusher type prop so it is essential nothing gets sucked into the propeller. Flown within their limits they are quite safe and are ideal to get around the local area. They are very popular across Australia and have a good safety record. They are operated under Reacreation Aircraft Australia (RAAus) and a pilot would normally have a RRAus pilots licence. They would not normally do aerobatics I believe.
I think this is a true description...............Ian M

----- Original Message ----- From: "Amos Shapira" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, October 24, 2005 10:07 AM
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] NOT a glider -was a drifter fatal at Byron

Hello Ian,
Could you please explain to me what's a drifter? I tried finding up info
on the net and couldn't find anything.

Thanks,

--Amos Shapira
(new in Australia)

On 10/22/05, Ian McPhee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Contary to what was on NBN News Saturday night (chanel 9) there was not a
"Fatal in a fixed wing glider" and they showed out roadside sign "Byron
Gliding Club"  Immediately the phones!! went crazy for 10 minutes.

To explain a Drifter from the other end of field was seen to spin one way
and then the other obviously out of controll. Giles Taylor was on take off
roll so I immediately asked him to look between the airfield and the sea -
he saw nothing the reason being it crashed into the sea leaving no evidence.

There is no doubt in my mind that it was a perfectly airworthy Drifter. The way it was flown is more significant in the cause of the accident I believe.
Best I not say more except I believe his son was on board as well.

It is terrible how the media got it so wrong - and all gliding will pay the
price!!  It looks like in future we should phone up in advance on the news
as this happened with a drifter.  Perhaps a club should send a info Media
sheet with a brief description of aircraft and a contact number which they
keep on file. That was my sister suggestion and she worked in media for 25
years and all the reporters do is rush out the story.

we can't let this continue!!!

Ian McPhee (skype   macca304)
Box 657
Byron Bay  NSW  2481  Australia
Tel +61(0)2 66847642 mob +61(0)428847642
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.mrsoaring.com