Mark Newton wrote:
Every pilot bears the responsibility to improve upon that situation.
GFA can't help, CASA can't help, it's a self-regulatory system and
it's all down to us.

Mark

I disagree with you in a number of areas, but we've been over those before and rehashing them now isn't going to change your views or mine (and in any case they have already received another airing in this thread).

However, there is one terrifically important point that has not arisen in this discussion: all the talk is about accidents, but there has been no mention about incidents (accidents that almost happened but not quite). Then I have one related point.

Gathering data on incidents is key to discovering where the problems lie before there is an accident. Incident trends give a very clear picture of things starting to go wrong. Gathering this data, analysing trends and then taking action to eliminate the incidents is key to modern safety management. Whilst this can happen at an individual club and then state level without the input of the central GFA organisation, aggregating these statistics across the gliding movement would provide a significant advantage in terms of a larger body of data in a shorter period of time. This will give an earlier indication of system wide problems allowing system wide action to be taken. (Aggregation at the club and state level is still important to figure out more localised problems).

The related point here is the aggregation and analysis of accident information. First of all, this requires the reporting of accidents - and I am aware from talking to people that not all accidents are reported ( heavy landings in particular seem to feature here). Changing the under reporting situation is an organisational culture issue and one that can really only be driven successfully if all levels of the organisation are involved - i.e. the member and the central organisation. Again, aggregation across the system allows us again to see trends and formulate system wide responses such as changes to the way we train pilots for example.

For both of these issues, the central organisation is key as it is the only mechanism we have to gather and aggregate the incident and accident data across the country, To suggest otherwise is simply unrealistic. There is no other mechanism for either myself or my club to access data from, say, the WA clubs.

However, it does all start with the individual member reporting all incidents and all (even minor) accidents - and that requires a culture change.

--
Robert Hart					[EMAIL PROTECTED]
+61 (0)438 385 533			  http://www.hart.wattle.id.au