On 11/9/05, Peter Creswick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You may be on the right track there Michael.  It may well be that under
> reporting is the real bottom line issue here.
> Perhaps glider pilots in general are (for legal, pride and / or peer
> ridicule reasons) unwilling to be forthcoming with incident reports in the
> first place, unless something actually gets bent, broken, or hurt, such that
> it can't be hidden.  We have no idea (since the GFA will not tell us) how
> many incident / accident reports they get each year.  It may be, that there
> are so few reports, that, that in itself, is the big secret.  If so, that is
> a real worry.

I feel that this whole "people won't report because of pride/ridicule"
argument is pretty
speculative. My personal experience is that in an environment which
encourages and
accepts such reports people DO tell about their mistakes even if
nobody is going to
know about them (e.g. errors in judgment, or forgetting something
while flying alone at
high altitude).

The leadership decided that nobody is going to get silly "punishments" for silly
mistakes but just basically pass on the information. A lot of this is
the mindset
prevailing in the clubs. It doesn't mean that problems are not handled
just because
they were reportted - if the report shows that the someone needs some
refreshing on
procedures or how to fly a particular type of glider then they WILL
get this help, but
most people will take it as a help in re-training rather than a punishment.

The body of members that I have experience with gets this message and
don't act like
a bunch of high-school teenagers looking to degrade anyone around them
for their own
immidiate ego kick but appreciate the reports. The odd ones out are the ones who
DON'T pay attention to safety discussions (I can't remember anyone in
that group who
answers this criteria).

There might be a slight problem of chicken-and-egg here of people
seeing an example
of someone reporting incidents without being "punished" and ridiculed. Maybe the
leadership can do some work to get people into the right mindset, but
that's up to them
to decide if and how they are going to aproach this whole business of
incidents reporting.

I think I personally will feel safer in a "translucent" environment
where people are mature
enough to come forward with their mistakes for the benefit of the
group instead of sweeping
things under the rug and pretending that "everything is fine" until
the hidden "almost accidents" graph turns into an "accidents graph".
(think about bugs in Open Source
Software vs. Proprietary Software, if that means anything to you).

--P